Chủ Nhật, 5 tháng 10, 2008

Old lamp

Old lamp

Ok, as a reference I took the photo of an old lamp. By the way it was the only one ref image that I used. Everything else I took from my head :).

I've tried to do something old and sweet at the same time. And I think I did it.

Modeling/Texturing

Modeling was done in 3d Studio Max 8.0 SP 2, texturing in Photoshop CS.

First, take a look at the complete scene.

There is nothing hard to model :)

Now let’s take a closer look at each model in this scene.

To model a lamp I used cylinders for almost each part of lamp, then convert it to EditPoly and adjust vertexes as on reference. Then entire model was smoothed with 2 iterations for best result.

Then I used the UV Map modifier (Cylindrical mapping). For all metal surfaces I did the color, specular and bump maps (and 2 opacity maps), for glass surfaces I did the opacity and dirt maps.

Here is an example of low res maps:

Windows is a modified Box primitives with some chamfer, so there is nothing hard to do.

For mapping I used UV Map modifier (Box Mapping).

Now it’s time for close ups of other scene elements:

Plant in the glass (poly modeling and simple mapping with procedural maps, roots was done with renderable splines)

Next thing is… (don’t know how it would be in English) Simple poly modeling as well.

Next is some cloth thing. Poly modeling, displacement modifier and Hair and Fur modifier. For color map used procedural texture. I started this model from Plane primitive object.

Displacement map:

Curtains

Started with splines which defines the shape of curtains, than converted to EditPoly. All textures are procedural (Color and Opacity).

One more interesting thing is a wallpaper corner (modified Plane primitive object)

Take a look at the entire room model

It’s a simple box with some details like hole in the wall for windows. We don’t see the entire room but it’s needed for the proper lighting.

Lighting and Rendering Setup

Ok, for lighting I used only 2 emitters: 1 direct light that simulates the Sun (with some yellow/orange color and area shadows) and one V-ray light right behind the window to simulate the day light (almost white with some green and blue value, depends on environment basic color).

Here are the settings for the lights:

For the environment I choose this image:

All other work was done by V-Ray rendering system :)

Here the rendering settings:

By the way to reach shadows from non existing trees behind the window I used one more “Total Texture” image as a projector:

That’s it. Hope you like it.

Here the final image. No post work was done.

source: NGUYỄN MINH TUỆ

Không có nhận xét nào: